I feel a strong connection to animals and nature. I’m primarily self-taught and prefer to learn by experimenting. I also attend technical workshops and critique sessions with respected mentors.
For over 25 years, I worked in pastel, coloured pencil, and ink. My first solo exhibit in 1994 featured portraits of legendary rock stars such as Jagger, Richards, Bowie and Iggy Pop.
In 2005, I took an acrylic painting class at the Visual Arts Centre Orleans (VACO). I also joined a group of landscape painters, travelling to Quebec for spring and fall paint-outs. The challenge of capturing scenes outdoors and the companionship of experienced painters improved my technical skills dramatically. In 2006, I held a solo exhibit of my acrylic paintings.
In 2010, seeking a return to drawing, I began working in mixed media on paper. I also began using a punch needle and yarn to hook rugs in my own designs.
In 2013, I joined Out of the Box fibre artists, which opened my eyes to felting, embroidery and textile media. I began creating needle felted animal sculptures in wool and alpaca. More recently, I’ve begun felting and hand-stitching on cloth to “paint” wall hangings, while continuing my studio practice.
Exhibits and Solo shows
- 2016-2019: Arundel Art Show – one-day outdoor event each August, Arundel, Quebec
- 2018: Navan Fine Art Show – two-day group show, Navan, Ontario
- 2016: Creations Cumberland (weekend pop-up gallery in vacant store) Feb. and Oct.
- 2011: Collections, juried group show, Ottawa Art Gallery
- 2011: Art in the Park – group show, Cumberland Farmers’ Market
- 2008: Animal Magnetism: Portraits on Paper, solo exhibit, Ottawa Folklore Centre
- 2007: Ottawa Art Festival – juried exhibit with 120 local artists
- 2006: Animal Magnetism – Portraits of Animals and Country Life, solo exhibit of acrylic paintings, Visual Arts Centre, Orleans
- 1994: Reptiles, Rock Stars and Rodents – solo exhibit, Community Gallery, World Exchange Plaza, Ottawa